Do's and Don'ts when you file for a Car Insurance Claim
Car insurance claims filing and having them sanctioned can be a tedious process when you do not know how to go about it. Many people assume that they do not have to do anything at all but will get their insurance money if they meet with an accident.
However, this is far from the truth as no car insurance company or policy works that way. As a car owner or driver, one has to be aware of their responsibilities if their car ends up in an accident. Not being aware of the rules or regulations can often be problematic for people.
We look at the few things that you are supposed to do immediately and the things that you are not supposed to do in case you meet up with an accident with your car. This would allow you to be wise and ensure that you do not lose the money or claim that you are entitled to.
Do’s While Filing a Claim
These are the most important things that you are supposed to do immediately if you are involved in a car accident.
- Police Report: Filing a police report is one of the most important things that you should do if you are injured in an accident . This is one of the criteria that the car insurance company will require you to do before you can submit it together with the accident report.
- Contact Insurer: The second thing you ought to do is to get in touch with your car insurance company to do accident reporting within 24 hours to avoid the penalty of having your No Claim Discount to be reduced by 10% due to late reporting.
- Attention to Details: The last thing that is of importance is paying attention to details when filing for car insurance claims. Missing out or leaving out small details can amount to your claims being rejected. Having videos or pictures of the accident can help you greatly if it is towards your favour.
Three most important don'ts that you should be aware of are as follows:
- On Spot Settlements: Never approve on spot settlements as they may not just be confusing but also lead you to a loss in terms of money.
- Missing Timelines: There are timelines set by the car insurance company for the filings and other procedures. It is important that you adhere to them and not miss it at all by any means.
- Dishonesty: No insurance company would like it if you are dishonest with them about your car insurance claims and settlement. Your chances of the claims getting rejected are higher if you are dishonest.